I know I have been inactive lately but it is because I was given the opportunity to purchase my own domain name. After several weeks of planning, I am proud to present my new and improved literary blog: The Quirky Giraffe! This blog will be dedicated to my love for all things literary and I will also continue to share my journey as I write my novel, Worlds Apart.
Go check it out here and I hope to see y’all on there!
Creating a world for your novel can seem like quite the daunting task. A world has so many different parts that need to work together in order to help breathe life into the novel. I am going to list certain things you need to keep in mind when it comes to world building and these are all things that I used when creating the world used in Worlds Apart. I will also being thinking about these important items while creating a world for this pirate idea that is currently stuck in my head. I hope this post will be helpful to you as you create that brilliant literary world of yours!
Important things to remember while world building:
- Don’t over complicate things! It is important that your world is not too complicated because it could confuse the readers. Plus, too many rules and tiny complications can really mess your continuity up in the long run. Some things could accidentally be forgotten and that could lead to some plot holes that could have been avoided.
- Religion! This is probably one of my favorite items to work on. Gods, Godesses, magic, and powerful figures that characters worship are an important part of the world itself. Creating these different belief systems can really give depth to your world and help differentiate the characters by their belief or lack of beliefs.
- Maps! Creating a map should probably be one of the first things you do when you begin to build your world. It helps you visualize your world and map out your hero’s journey through out the novel or series.
- Politics! Politics are very important, especially if your are writing a dystopian or fantasy novel. Evil monarchs and corrupt governments need to be explained in your world bible so you can understand just how much turmoil is present in the novel. Be careful not too over complicate things in this area because when all the action is unfolding you don’t want it to get too confusing.
- Magic! Magic is something you need to think long and hard about when you are building. How it is used, who uses it, can objects contain it, and the presence of magical creatures should be addressed when it comes to magic in your world! This can also work really well with religious beliefs as well.
Those are the main things that I think about when I am world building and I hope that you found this post helpful!
I wish you luck on your literary journey!
Sorry I have not been so active this week! I was hit by a rather nasty bug but now I have fully recovered and have come to share my recent adventure with you all! Today, my friend and I went and visited an indie bookshop and an indie comic book shop in Dallas and it was a good way to relax and even get inspired. The arts district we went to was full of murals, local shops, and interesting food places so we spent about 3-4 hours walking around and exploring.
Pirate Update: I went and got a blank book to write all the pirate dream ideas in so I can figure out just how much I want to write it. The pirate idea was constantly on my mind while I was stuck in bed from the virus so I am now trying to create an interesting world for these dream characters.
Now I am off to write a helpful writing post!
I wish you luck on your literary journey!
NaNoWriMo has officially ended and I am feeling torn. I feel accomplished for participating but at the same time I am a little upset I did not meet my word count! I had issues with my anxiety and it kept me away from the computer for a while but now I am back and more determined than ever to get some writing done! Another thing that has hindered my progress is a dream I had a few nights ago. This dream involved masks, pirates, magic, and a dance with a dangerous foe that could have easily been compared to a thrilling chess match. Ever since I had this dream I have been enthralled by it! I want to know more about these mysterious characters and their world. Every time I try to go write my main project I get swept away by the thought of the mysterious pirate that had a knack for fire magic and I am taking this a sign that I should put some work into fleshing them out before I make any major decisions. I have fallen in love with the idea of pirates before but due to certain complications that did not work out and I just recently moved on from having to give up that kickass idea only to have my heart stolen again by the idea of writing the pirates from my dream. We shall see how this works out!
I wish you luck on your writing journey!